LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 - Sue Townsend I have just re-read this book, after first having read and loved it as a child of perhaps 11 3/4. Back then it was the best book I had ever read. It inspired a diary I kept up for at lest a month, which for anyone who knows me, is even by today’s standard quite an accomplishment. I do remember Adrian Mole as being a very misguided young man and not of the greatest intellect. With a tendency to over use the word majestic in has misguided poetry. I certainly have fond childhood memories of being in hysterics over the fact that no matter how many coats black paint applied Noddy could always be seen on has bedroom walls. This time however it was his fathers quip about the room reminding him of a Salvador Dali painting. And it being a "Surrealist nightmare" that got the laughs.This book was fist published in 1982, which is the year in which I was born. So to say it is a little out of date is putting it mildly. It was probably a little out of date the first time I read it. But despite the commentary on Margaret Thatcher and all the "englishisms" which I now have a much better understanding of now that I have actually lived in the UK for a time, This book is just as fun and funny as it was the first time I read it. Even though my humour has changed and matured this book is one of those rare treasures that can be read and enjoyed by anyone of any age.