LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
Delirium  - Lauren Oliver I’m not a huge fan of books set in dystopian societies (with a few exceptions) but what I am a huge fan of is Lauren Oliver. Whether she is writing about love lobotomies in a warped version of America, a bitchy (but evolving) high school girl in her own personal version of ground hog day or a grocery list for that matter, I will read it and here’s why. Unlike most young adult authors (this is YA right?)Who write adequately but rely on plot pyrotechnics to do most of the work Oliver writes beautifully. Her words slip off the page and into your head so effortlessly that pages are turned and pictures are formed with such ease that you almost forget to stop and appreciate them. This book has nuance and depth, which I think could have been easily overlook because on the surface it seems very simple, a love story set in an alternate reality. But what Lauren Oliver brings to the table that so few other authors do are the incredible characters she writes. They seem so real to me; flawed, indecisive, insecure and rebellious. I loved the story line and premise of this book and I thought the author did an amazing job fleshing out the world she had created, all the quotes from "the book a Shh" etc. before each chapter. But it was the amazing characters that took this book from good to great.And on a totally random side note I would also like to mention that for some strange reason while I was reading Delirium it kept reminding me of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I’m sure if you have read the book you will agree that it’s a strange comparison but I can’t get it out of my mind. Any thoughts? Style? Tone? Prohibition era? People pretending to be something they are not? Feel free to comment because I just can't quite put my finger on it.