LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo Wow what an awesome read!I don't give 5 stars often and when I do it is usually because I fall in love with a character. But this book gets full marks for having the most mind bending, flipped on the head YA plot I've read in a long while.I had no preconceived expectations of this book. I went in blindly purely on the strength of it's high rating. I didn't even read the synopsis or "back cover" if you will. And what a happy surprise!I will admit that at first I was extremely put off by the "middle earthy maps" and the "Strange Name Index." These in my opinion usually don't bode well for a book. And are often the precursor to the author spending at least the first 150 pages describing the geography of their world and the next 150 prescribing the hierarchy of the people. Luckily Bargdugo managed to do all of this on the fly, informing the reader without information dumping, while at the same time never losing the stories pace.But the best part is the power struggle, the romance and just when you think this book is good BAM!! your mind is blown.