LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis When I first started reading this book I thought to myself what a self involved asshole! Which is sad because I'm a big fan of the band and wanted to like him. In fact I had to have a little pep talk with myself so I could carry on reading. It went something along the lines of- "You don’t have to like the person to enjoy the book and find some worth in it." And that little talk stood me in good sted because I think I found the book even more fascinating after having accepted that Kiedis is not a very good person and seems startlingly oblivious to the fact. He effectively wrote himself as the villain of the piece and he doesn't seem to have realized it. It’s just so interesting to me. I also just could not get over the fact that not once did he condemn his father who essentially go him into doing drugs at age 11 but would make snippy little comments about band mates and girlfriends at every turn for relatively inconsequential things. But most amazing to me was that a man who clearly sees himself as a modern day poet wrote a 500 page book about himself and didn't include one introspective or self analytically thought! All in all I would have given this book 5 stars had the continuous cycle of drug abuse and rehab not gotten a little monotonous.