LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
Crow's Row - Julie Hockley My boyfriend is a murdering drug dealer but it's OK because he gave me an Ipod and his dog's kind of cute!I am struggling to review this book or even rate it. Here's the issue. The book is not poorly written or even a terrible read but the characters choices and the plot holes were so frustrating/annoying/stupid I just wanted to scream!!Emily is from a rich family but "her parents just don't understand her." So she refuses their money, lives in a slum and goes to a crap college on a scholarship. I can only assume to spite them? Yet a gangster give her a free Ipod and all of a sudden she is putty in his hands. What a sell out! If only mommy and daddy had thought to buy her an Ipod this whole book would have been moot!She then sees the same "dreamy" gangster execute a man at point blank range, after which she is beaten unconscious by one of his crew and kidnapped. Emily does have one scene where she describes being afraid for her life but to be honest she spends more time worrying about being too skinny and red headed for Cameron AKA Gangsta Hottie to find her attractive. These are just not normal reactions!I understand the concept of an anti-hero and at the end of the book the author does try to justify the fact that Cameron is an unrepentant drug dealer, murderer and all round criminal. But that just didn't work for me. I couldn't help thinking that (unless a person is a total psychopath) all criminals have reasons behind their actions. No one turns to a life of crime as a first choice. But more importantly no sane person witnesses someone kill a person in cold blood and instantly thinks "I got to get me some of that!"The tone of this whole book was just weird. Emily kept referring to Cameron, who is a 26 year old man and supposedly the biggest drug overlord in the entire U.S *eyeroll* as a boy?. She falls in love with him almost instantly knowing how bad he is. Yet she never doubts him and he doesn't offer any excuses for his action.I kept waiting for Emily to realize that she had Stockholms syndrome!