LaurenF

LaurenF

Miranda Davis
Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews I went straight to sleep after finishing this book late last night and it actually gave me nightmares!I was trapped in a room desperately trying to keep a pot plant alive and no matter what I did it kept wilting and dying.I first read this book when I was 12 years old and the story of 4 children being kept prisoner in an attic by their Mother and Grandmother has always stuck with me. And I suppose the theme of incest left an impression on my young mind. Now reading it a 30 I enjoyed the book but for entirely different reasons. A book that I thought was all about incest (and it is a bit) is actually about the heartbreaking abuse of children and how their childhood is taken from them, the things they are forced to do to survive and the way their relationships change. And I actually thought that the author handled the sensitive subject of incest with a surprisingly delicate hand, it was certainly more sad then salacious. What I don’t remember from my first read was how much I truly HATED the mother and grandmother!The grandmother is in my opinion obviously an insane religious fanatic and there was more then one occasion where I wanted to reach into the book and bitch slap her into oblivion. But while she is the initial villain and never redeems herself in any way my true hatred is reserved for the mother.The manipulative, lying, money grabbing whore! (I had to vent.)I have to be honest with you and say that my whole perception of this book is slightly skewed by the rose tinted glasses of my youth. First impressions always count. But let’s be real for a moment-Was this book well written? Not really.Was some of the dialogue totally cringe worthy? Good golly day! YesWas the book hard to get into at first? Yes!Were some of the characterizations overly dramatized? Lord Yes!But despite all its flaws the plot still sucked me in, the characters still made me feel genuine emotions and I was truly engrossed. This might not “technically” be a good book but I did enjoy reading it. And that's what really counts right?